Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day Seven

Benda 08
This week I have felt the need to pull the scraps of paper together that I have collected with some of my favorite quotes. I feel strongly that the Abstract Expressionist movement embodies Art without the trapping or comfort of representation. Milton Resnick, who I have quoted often this week rattled a few cages, upset the apple cart and challenged the status quo even among his peers. He often fought with deKooning and had a distaste for those who were not always true to the process. I feel he was more concerned with painting as a verb. He is quoted as saying in the book Milton Resnick and the New York School, by Geoffrey Dorfman; "If you intentionally avoid that unity within yourself, then you will intentionally avoid doing that in your work." He goes on to say "Painting has to become what you really are doing and not what you are reaching to outside of it."

No comments:

Thanks for finding your way to this site. I hope you enjoyed the topics and images. Please feel free to comment on past entries or offer suggestions on topics suitable for future Art Musings.
Free Blog Hit Counter