Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Rules



I want to break a rule, my own. My own self imposed rule about my 100 day project. There I said it. I am bored with the acorn. I want to try something else and stick to the medium for longer than a week. I just get into the swing of things on Sunday night. Then I start all over. It is the artistic equivalent to the movie Ground Hog Day.
It seems to me that we get use to rules. There are rules that are suppressive, and wrong, there are others that help us live in harmony.
To  break some rules can be seen as a sign of strength, break others it is a sign of weakness.
Challenging rules can be freeing and a good thing. 
But, when we put forth a set of self imposed rules and break them ---we have let ourselves down and dare I say “failed”. These self imposed rules, regulations, and restricitons may have no rhyme or reason, they may just be trap to keep us from exploring possibilities.
Self imposed rules may be the thing that keeps creativity under lock and chain. It may be the very thing that needs to be avoided.
So while I mull around my own set of limitation for this go around I am going to dedicate the next few posts  about rule setting; abiding by them, the purpose of them and of course breaking them.

 Here are a few quotes to get started as  I am contemplate my dilemma

Thomas Edition said, “Hell, there are no rules here; we're trying to accomplish something.”

Emerson said, “Be true to the highest within your soul and then allow yourself to be governed by no customs or conventionalities or arbitrary man-made rules that are not founded on principle. 

To blossom forth, a work of art must ignore or rather forget all the rules. (Pablo Picasso)

No comments:

Thanks for finding your way to this site. I hope you enjoyed the topics and images. Please feel free to comment on past entries or offer suggestions on topics suitable for future Art Musings.
Free Blog Hit Counter