Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The power of 100: Taking Flight Series


During the autumn and winter of 2008-2009 I started a 100 day project: Taking Flight; with the single theme of birds. The goal was to draw and cut out a bird a day and then hang it up. Some days I did one, some days I did five. The first few days were interesting, but it wasn’t until the 3rd week that the number of birds on the walls of my house started to be substantial, 10 birds, 20 ----then there were 50! At about the half way point, I started to do birds in different shapes and patterns. After 100 birds, I began doing bird tags, and bird drawings. Some of the drawings incorporated the cutout birds and others were pastel designs with birds drawn inside. This series holds significant value for me. At the core of these drawings is habitual art; the evolution of rituals and patterns, created from art as a daily exercise.

2 comments:

Ann Russ said...

Cathy asked me on 5/31 if I was "in or out?" When I found out it was an invitation to participate in another 100 day project (my second)starting the next day, my instinct immediately said "yes". This was a second before my opinionated, mostly doubting thinking mind chimed in with "are you sure you want to do this?"

I heard Eckhart Tolle once say that his greatest accomplishment was that he stopped thinking 80% of the time.

Art Musings said...

I think we have 4 takers anyone else out there ready to go.

Thanks for finding your way to this site. I hope you enjoyed the topics and images. Please feel free to comment on past entries or offer suggestions on topics suitable for future Art Musings.
Free Blog Hit Counter