Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Meaning

Philip Guston
I don't know what a painting is; who knows what sets off even the desire to paint? It might be things, thoughts, a memory, sensations, which have nothing to do directly with painting itself. They can come from anything and anywhere.
Philip Guston

The circles are everywhere. They are hanging here and there. They are on the floor, spilled over with the scraps of my 100 day project. They are in my paintings. I think they are about unity and possibly and more importantly about self.
But, when I read the above quote by Philip Gunston, I think more and more that they are about painting.
Homeward bound-cbenda

1 comment:

contact me at bethanyhight@jeffhight.com said...

There is something very comforting about Guston's quote. I guess because I ask myself the same questions all the time- What is a painting supposed to be? And why do I paint at all? I like his answer.

Thanks for finding your way to this site. I hope you enjoyed the topics and images. Please feel free to comment on past entries or offer suggestions on topics suitable for future Art Musings.
Free Blog Hit Counter